Sunday, April 15, 2012

It's a.... BOY?

Some chicks are easy to sex, in that they have a marking of some kind to indicate whether they are male or female. Most are not that easy.  Barred Rocks, when they hatch, will have a white spot on the top of their heads and their feet and legs will be black if they are female chicks. (This has about a 93% accuracy rate).  But when you throw in another breed and mix them up, anything goes.  When these two chicks hatched they had the white spots and the dark legs but they are barred rock/silver laced wyandotte mix so I had to just keep my fingers crossed.  
I don't think I had enough of my fingers crossed...
I cannot continue to ignore the fact that one has a little more red on it's head.  Ok-- a LOT more red.

 There, I said it.

A cockerel will begin to redden on the head long before a pullet. One of mine started showing red at 4 weeks. But again, with mixed breeds, anything can happen.  



6 weeks old
Note the difference in their combs and the redder one is developing waddles




As of right now they are just over 6 weeks old.  They hang with the adult birds all day and I'm hoping against hope that if he really is a "he" that he will get along fine with PeeWee. We have a much better chance at that happening by letting them live together now and having them grow up with the established birds.  I've had roosters in the past who wouldn't stand for another rooster in the yard. I have a feeling PeeWee won't be one of those boys.  This time I'm crossing all appendages! 

Uh, yeah--looking more like Captain and Tenille than Cagney and Lacey.

No comments:

Post a Comment